25 November 2007

Vandy Visits La Chureca


Yesterday the Manna house said goodbye to an amazing group of Vandy students. The group of 10 spent their entire Thanksgiving break in Nica, learning about Manna's programs and working alongside Program Directors. One of the highlights of my week was taking the group into Chureca.

Prior to coming, the Vandy group asked if they could put a presentation together for the mothers in our Child Sponsorship Program. Without any hesitation I told them yes and said that they were free to choose the topic. They decided to focus their health talk on HIV/AIDS.

At 9:30am on Wednesday the students sat down in front of the mothers and began their talk. It was clear that they had spent a long time researching and practicing for this day. They touched on all the important facts without using fancy terminology and they kept the moms' attention by making the talk interactive. Of all the health talks I've listened to in Chureca, this one was my favorite. Watching the way they delivered the presentation and reached out to the mothers made me so proud to be a Vanderbilt graduate.

After the health talk was finished, Matt took the group on a tour of Chureca while I stayed behind to talk to Esmo. I met up with the group about an hour later and noticed how their expressions had changed. Seeing their faces and hearing what they had to say about La Chureca reminded me of how I felt the first time I walked through the dump.

It also made me realize that after being here for 4 months, and going to the dump so many times, I have gotten over its shock value. It made me sad to think that I have grown accustomed to watching little kids running around naked, seeing youngsters sniffing glue, and school-age children sifting through trash in search of food, recyclables, and toys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just wanted you to know there are definitely readers to this blog. I love keeping up with it and getting a glimpse of your day to day over at La Churec. thank you so much for all you do.

all the best, Darlene

ps. it looks like the other comment is unfortunately spam?