05 May 2008

Tranquilo en el Campo

On Wednesday and Thursday of last week, we brought the kids in our program and their mothers to the Augusts' land. Last October, our days in the "Campo" were sheer madness-- kids running everywhere, going to the bathroom on volunteers, moms yelling at the kids running everywhere and going to the bathroom on volunteers. This time, in contrast, our ninos came in, found their little chairs, and just chilled sucking on the mangoes growing on the property. The transformation was truly surreal.

Senora Soya graced us once again with her presence, conjuring recipes of arroz a la valencia and sausage out of soy. Everyone's mouths watered in anticipation and the moms scurried around in their donated aprons and head wraps. While we waited, I had a chance to hang out with the moms who weren't cooking (the moms who were cooking wouldn't let me in the kitchen because they say I have baby hands. Another story for another time). We talked about life, how they came to Chureca, what it's like to be a mom and a wife in Nicaragua. Many of them asked me if I had any children. My response was always "45," to which they would just nod. They know that I love their kids like they were mine. As we chatted, their children would crawl into my lap, no longer afraid of my white face or strange yellow hair.

Marcela and I agree that these are some of our favorite moments in Nicaragua. Please follow the links for more photos of our magical days.

No comments: