27 October 2007

Field Trip Day 2



This past week, we decided to provide the mothers and children of our child sponsorship program with a change of scenery. In so doing, we hoped we could, if only for a brief while, help them escape the harmful environment that infiltrates every aspect of their life. In addition, we sponsored a talk with the famous “SeƱora Soya” who provided the mothers with demonstrations on cooking with soy. By promoting soy, we are hoping to provide community members with an alternative form of nutrition that is free of many of the toxins contaminating the foods they normally obtain.

Once we loaded all of the mothers and the children in our microbuses, the looks on the children’s’ faces as they experienced their very first car ride were priceless. As I peeked back, I saw an absolute sense of awe as they watched cars and people pass and felt the new and strange sensation of sitting in a moving vehicle. Once there, the mothers were put to work in the kitchen while the children played.

Though the mothers were working very hard, there was no doubt that they were having a great time. Watching them in the kitchen, I marveled at the sense of camaraderie they displayed and saw smiles from people I never thought possible. All the while, the children were simply being children on the play set and soccer field. Running around and laughing with them certainly wore me out, however while laying down for a nap afterwards, I felt so fortunate that I could give them the opportunity to enjoy a healthy atmosphere for playing. I cannot wait until the next time we take the mothers and children to the land, seeing them away from the dredges of their everyday life gave me new hope and inspiration.

No comments: